Governor Awards More Than
$15 Million in FY13 OSLAD Grants!
(posted May 13, 2013)
We are very excited to
report that Governor Quinn announced Saturday that 45 different park districts,
forest preserves and recreation agencies throughout the State will receive a
total of $15,329,300 in OSLAD Grants for FY 13 benefiting more than 7 million
IAPD President and CEO Peter Murphy joined the Governor and many IAPD member agencies for
the announcements which took place at the Park District of Oak Park, the
Wildlife Prairie Park in Peoria and at the Nelson Park Redevelopment in
View the list of OSLAD grant recipients.
Watch video footage of our proud agencies thanking Governor Quinn for supporting the OSLAD program:
Legislation Expediting OSLAD Grant Payments Headed to Governor
(updated May 16, 2013)
SB 1637 (Kotowski, D. / Nekritz, E.) has passed
the House unanimously and is now headed to the Governor for signature. This IAPD Platform initiative would expedite the payment
process under the OSLAD grant program by allowing agencies to receive 50% of
the funds at the time the grant is awarded. The remainder of the funds would be
distributed quarterly on a reimbursement basis. This legislation will substantially improve the OSLAD grant program.
Two other IAPD Platform measures have also passed both chambers. HB 1404 (Bradley,
J. / Biss, D.) would help alleviate costs
associated with local government construction contracts by allowing units of
local government to choose to waive surety bond requirements on small
construction projects that are less than $50,000, which is the current standard
for State construction projects. SB 1410 (Cullerton, T. / Welch, C.) would allow park districts to
adopt a supplemental appropriation ordinance up to the amount of additional
revenue which becomes available subsequent to the adoption of their annual
Several other IAPD Platform initiatives are on 3rd Reading in their respective chambers. Check here for the latest developments on the status of these measures.
General Assembly Enters Final Weeks of Spring Session
(updated May 13, 2013)
Less than 3 weeks remain before the Geneal Assembly's May 31st scheduled adjournment date. In addition to the hundreds of bills that will be debated on the House and Senate floors, amendments will be filed and heard in committee within a matter of only a few hours. IAPD is at the Capitol closely monitoring these developments and attending committee hearings.
Stay up to date on the latest information by visiting the Public Policy section of our website. View the status of bills we are tracking by clicking on the links that follow.
View House Bills
View Senate Bills
Join us for the 20th Annual Park District Conservation Day at the Illinois State Fair - Saturday, August 17th!
(posted May 7, 2013)
Is your agency interested in showing off its talented dance groups, bands, orchestras, chorales, zoos, tumblers or theater groups at the highest attended day of the Illinois State Fair? Join us for the 20th Annual Park District Conservation Day on Saturday, August 17th at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield! This is an outstanding opportunity to showcase the wonderful programs and services our park, recreation and conservation agencies offer to the citizens of Illinois.
Performers receive FREE admission and FREE parking on August 17th. Contact Bobbie Jo Hill for more information, or complete the Call for Entertainers form and return it by May 28th.
IAPD Boot Camps Coming in June
(posted May 3, 2013)
IAPD Boot Camp is a must for newly-elected board members! Board member
training is essential to better serve your community. IAPD's Boot Camp
- What to Expect in Your Role as a Commissioner
- How Legislative Advocacy Can Make a Difference
- Park District Finances and the Role of the Board
- Open Meetings Act
Join us at one of the following convenient dates and locations:
- June 5, 6-9:15 p.m. - Schaumburg Park District's Schaumburg Golf Club/Chandler's
- June 13, 6-9:15 p.m. - Huntley Park District's Recreation Center
- June 19, 6-9:15 p.m. - Channahon Park District's Arrowhead Community Center
- June 20, 6-9:15 p.m. - Effingham Park District's Ron Diehl Recreation Center
- June 22, 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. - Park District of Oak Park's Cheney Mansion
Swing Into Golf Season!
(posted May 3, 2013)
The first outing on IAPD's 2013 Summer Golf Tour is coming to Palatine Park District's Palatine Golf Course on May 20!
The golf outings are outstanding opportunities to network, make new acquaintances, visit with good friends and learn about other agencies' golf operations, facilities and programs. This year's Golf Tour is scheduled as follows:
Monday - May 20 - Palatine Hills Golf Course, Palatine Park District
Monday - June 10 - Old Orchard Country Club, Prospect Heights Park District
Tuesday - August 20 - Foss Park Golf Club, Foss Park District
Monday - September 9 - Prairie Bluff Golf Course, Lockport Township Park District
Special Thanks to our Tour Sponsor
The Park District Code - 2013 Edition is Here! - FREE Shipping through May 20th!
(updated April 17, 2013)
The Park District Code contains the most comprehensive compilation of laws affecting park districts. This edition incorporates key amendments and new laws including:
- Cost-saving option to publish an annual statement of receipts and disbursements
- Important changes to rules for asserting exemptions under the Freedom of Information Act
- Eight significant amendments to the Park District Code, including changes affecting the corporate and recreation tax levies, appointment of assistant officers, conducting criminal background checks on minors and commissioner vacancies
- Latest requirements for posting agenda under the Open Meetings Act
- New Design Build feature for procurements in park district construction projects
- Rules for utilizing movable soccer goals at park district facilities
- Most recent modifications to the Prevailing Wage Act
- Thirteen new sections in the appendix
- Includes 51 other relevant statutes affecting your agency
Place your order today! FREE Shipping through May 20th!