The year was 1911. In England, the luxury ocean liner Titanic was launched and an airplane landed after making the country’s first transcontinental flight from New York City. Meanwhile in St. Charles, Illinois, a petition was circulated that would establish the St. Charles Township Park District. It was an initiative whose time had come.
The first Park Board consisted of three members, who implemented the vision of having parks and open space along the banks of the Fox River by purchasing 35 acres of land for the development of Pottawatomie Park. With this purchase, the District played a key role in making St. Charles a resort community in the 1920s.
As the community continued to grow, the district offered recreation programming at Pottawatomie Park and used local neighborhood parks and school facilities in cooperation with the city and school district. In April of 1967, city and township voters approved the formation of the St. Charles Park District as a separate taxing body that was charged with providing public park and recreation services to the residents of St. Charles Township.
Just as the St. Charles Township Park District played a key role in making St. Charles a resort community in the 1920s, today, the park district plays an important part in the vitality of this community, providing award-winning open space and programming that appeals to a wide cross-section of the population of the district. St. Charles Park District provides an abundance of programs and facilities that meet the diverse abilities, ages, genders and interests of its residents.
With many of the parks and facilities located on historically significant sites, and many more protecting valuable wildlife habitat and natural resources, the district is a primary contributor to preserving the cultural and ecological heritage of the St. Charles region. With nearly 1,500 acres of park and open space owned or managed by the St. Charles Park District, a variety recreation opportunities and programming is offered for its community.