Legislative Key Contact Program
Only you can ensure that parks and recreation has a voice in Springfield.
Become your agency's legislative key contact and advocate for responsible public policies to benefit park districts, forest preserves, conservation, recreation and special recreation agencies.
Responsibilities and Expectations of Agency Legislative Liaison to IAPD
Each member agency of IAPD is encouraged to appoint one elected official to serve as its Legislative Key Contact.
The Legislative Key Contact should be an elected official who is interested in the legislative process and in keeping abreast of legislation and its impact on parks and recreation in Illinois. No legislative experience is necessary, just a willingness to learn and understand the legislative process. The Key Contact must be willing and able to communicate through e-mail.
Responsibilities of the Legislative Key Contact:
- Have agency formally appoint you as the agency's legislative liaision for one year.
- Provide your contact information to IAPD.
- Attend a meeting of all legislative Key Contacts for orientation and training.
- Attend the IAPD Commissioner Boot Camp.
- Stay informed about new legislation and legislative initiatives and report monthly at your agency board meetings.
- Accept and read Legislative Updates and Alerts from IAPD.
- Attend a local legislative breakfast to become aware of park and recreation issues of importance.
- Attend the IAPD legislative conference in Springfield.
- Work with the agency director to establish positive relationships with local legislators.
- Contact legislators and inform them of important park and recreation issues.
- Encourage agency completion of the biennial Legislative Platform Survey.
- Encourage the attendance of your local legislators at the Soaring to New Heights IAPD/IPRA State Conference anda local legislative breakfast.
- Communicate with and update IAPD about legislative discussions and positions of local legislators that could be beneficial to our efforts in Springfield.
See below to sign up as your agency's Legislative Key Contact.