Print Page | Contact Us | Your Cart | Sign In | Register
90th Anniversary
Share |
 
90 Years with the Illinois Association of Park Districts
Let's begin the Celebration!

 

Did you know this about the History of the IAPD?

 

Association Headquarters

From 1928 to 1930, the association functioned, on a part-time basis, as a division of the Illinois Municipal League. Mr. McLarty, organizer of the IAPD, served as executive of the Illinois Municipal League, the Illinois Association of Park Districts and the Illinois Association of School Boards. The IAPD shared headquarters during that time with the other two organizations. The headquarters of all three organizations were moved to Springfield in November 1933, from the basement of the Urbana Public Library to the basement of the Illinois Casualty Building, 5th and Capitol. From July 1, 1943, following Mr. McLarty's resignation, to October 1st, 1944, the Association headquartered in the office of the Springfield Park District, courtesy of Dr. C.W. Milligan, then president of the Springfield Board. Since then headquarters have included the Hagler Building, 4th and Capitol; the Ferguson Building, 522 East Monroe; the First National Bank Building; 300 East Monroe Street; 217 East Monroe and now, 211 East Monroe Street.


Lawrence Hoff served as legal consultant and legislative representative of the IAPD for nearly 10 years and was appointed acting executive director of the association in 1943, when A.D. McLarty resigned for active war duty.

He was a trustee of the Springfield Pleasure Driveway and Park District for 16 years and served as secretary and member of the Illinois Park Codification Commission (IPCC). He steadily worked to encourage appointing park district attorneys to serve on the IPCC, and his legal/legislative guidance and vision helped to create the bill eventually signed as the Park Law Codification Bill in 1951 by Governor Adlai Stevenson.

Hoff made an outstanding and long-to-be-remembered contribution to the park and recreation movement in Illinois. 


The Illinois Association of Park Districts gets its name with the 1930 constitution, adopted at the annual conference in Springfield on October 17, 1930. The constitution states that the association shall:

·  Develop and maintain this Association as a mutual agency for the cooperation of park districts of the State of Illinois in the practical study of park district problems.

·  Promote the application of the best methods in all branches of park activity by holding at least one convention annually for the discussion of problems in park policy and administration.

·  Gather and circulate information and experience on park district affairs.

·  Secure general park legislation beneficial to park districts of the State and to oppose legislation injurious thereto.